Source: Xinhua
Editor: huaxia
2026-05-18 19:34:30
JERUSALEM, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Israeli naval forces began intercepting ships from the humanitarian Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla on Monday morning, Israel's state-owned Kan TV reported.
More than 50 vessels set sail from Türkiye's Marmaris coast on Thursday in a third attempt to break Israel's naval blockade of Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians.
A live video feed from one of the boats showed commandos boarding the vessel as activists sat on deck with their hands raised.
Israel did not immediately confirm it had begun taking over the ships.
Earlier on Monday, the Israeli Foreign Ministry called on the activists "to change course and turn back immediately" and said Israel would not allow any breach of what it called the "lawful naval blockade" of Gaza. It denounced the flotilla as "a provocation."
A previous flotilla, comprising about 20 boats and 175 activists, was intercepted by Israeli forces on April 30 near the southern Greek island of Crete. Two activists were detained for days before being released. Dozens of activists said they were mistreated, abused and beaten by the Israeli forces.
The flotilla, carrying aid and medical staff, said it aimed to draw international attention to the dire conditions in Gaza, where much of the enclave lies in ruins.
At least 72,763 people have been killed and 172,664 injured by Israeli fire since October 2023, according to Gaza health authorities. ■